A BRIEF HISTORY OF FAITH PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
After a 1957 Summer survey conducted by students from Dubuque Theological Seminary, the National Missions Committee of Freeport Presbytery gathered a small group in the home of Lynn and June Stuart in the Eastwood Manor subdivision near McHenry. Others attending the meeting were Warren and Lois Krebs, Margaret Pickett, Albert and Kay Reece and George and Pat Spindler. In October of 1957, a steering committee was established and arrangements were made to hold church services in a barn in Eastwood Manor.
The first service was held on Dec. 1, 1957. Services in the barn, conducted by lay members, continued until the Rev. John O. (Jack) McIntyre was assigned by the Presbytery to become the organizing pastor of the McHenry Church. He presided at his first service on Feb. 23, 1958. During that year, Sunday school classes were first held in early April. "Faith Presbyterian Church" was chosen as the official name for the new congregation in June, and a choir was organized in October under the direction of Eleanor Locker. On Palm Sunday, 1959, the congregation moved into a rented building at 1511 Eastwood Lane. A small organ was purchased and Agnes Ewert became the first organist, continuing on until 1976.
On July 12, 1959, Freeport Presbytery officially organized Faith Presbyterian Church, now a congregation with 75 charter members. The first Session was elected and installed: Warren Krebs, Dan Mathes Jr., Earl Murray and Edward Oleyar. A Board of Deacons was also elected and installed: Frank Csuti, David Hadley, Dale Maule, Helen Penick, Ralph Priester and Grace Vyduna. The newly organized church called the Rev. McIntyre as their first pastor on August 2, 1959. He was installed on October 11, 1959. The church continued as a mission of Presbytery through 1965, becoming self-supporting in 1966.
In January of 1966 a building finance committee and a building committee were established to construct a new facility. Ground breaking took place that fall and a cornerstone laying ceremony was held in December. On May 28, 1967, the congregation held its first service in the sanctuary of the present church, followed by a dedication service on June 11. An addition to the church, enlarging the sanctuary and providing more Sunday school space, a kitchen, and a fellowship hall, was dedicated on Sept. 7, 1986. A new Allen organ was dedicated on Nov. 20, 1988.
In its 57 year existence the church has had 5 pastors:
The Rev. John O. McIntyre, 8/2/1959 - 6/8/1976
The Rev. Dr. Eric J. Snyder, 6/5/1977 - 3/1/1989
The Rev. James Moran, 1/14/1990 - 2/1/1991
The Rev. Kit T. Stanich, 6/29/1992 - 7/31/2017
The Rev. Rich W. Davis, 7/1/2019 - Present
With a current membership of 100, currently active groups include the Session (9 members), the Deacons (12 members), Sunday School classes from Preschool through adult, a Summer Vacation Bible School, every other year Junior High confirmation class, Bell choir, Quest youth groups for Junior and Senior High, K.I.D.s Club, Women’s and Men's Fellowship and various small home groups. Faith Presbyterian Church is also the home of the Joyful Noise Christian Preschool.
In addition to its congregational ministry, Faith Church supports a number of other Christian outreach ministries including the Ruiri Church School of Imenti Presbytery in Kenya, Kemmerer Village (Illinois), Habitat for Humanity, Home of the Sparrow women’s shelter of McHenry County, PADS, FISH, Focus on the Family, Compassion International, 1st Way Life Center Pregnancy Support Services of Johnsburg, McHenry County Helping Hands (Jail Ministry), Mexican Little Ranch of Hope (The Acosta's Orphanage), Faith Acres, Turning Point (Domestic Violence Shelter), Eleos Coffee of Kansas City (Phil and Donna Pace), the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill, Presbyterians Pro-Life, Living Waters for the World, TLS Veterans (A local veterans Mission Project), Frontline Services, Presbyterian Council for Christian Chaplains and Military Personnel, and, From His Grace Food Pantry (Florida).
Faith Presbyterian Church